Friday, July 1, 2011

Revisiting The Classics


Photo by Amy of nanaCompany found via Suziebeezie


Hope you have all had a good end to the week. It’s bitterly cold and wet here so we haven’t ventured far at all today instead choosing to stay rugged up indoors with our heater keeping us warm and toasty. My lovely friend Lyndell visited us for morning tea and since then I’ve been sitting here in Paul’s jumper trying to get warm (it’s times like these I wish we had a laptop so I could blog away and still be cosy).

Anyway, a post I read on Simone’s blog this morning got me thinking about the ‘classics’ I read and loved as a little girl. I think I first got into these stories when I was given ‘Anne of Green Gables’, a book which remains an all time favourite of mine even today. Lately, I’ve been wanting to read some of these wonderful books again and currently I am working away through another favourite, Little Women.

Another of the first books I received was ‘The Secret Garden’. It was in the lost property at the hospital kiosk where my Nanna worked and after a while of being left unclaimed, my Nanna brought it home for me. I can still picture its red ‘leather’ cover and fine textured pages. Sadly, this was not one of the books I decided to keep in later years and I have no idea where it ended up but I had been thinking recently about how I would keep an eye out for it at the local second hand bookshop.

Then, as I was blog hopping today, I came across the above image. Similar to the Penguin clothbound classics style of book cover, this range for children had me instantly drawn in. I am going to order 'The Secret Garden' and perhaps also 'Anne of Green Gables' (which I do already own but I am tempted by this version’s pretty cover). They will make a lovely keepsake to pass on to Grace when she is older.

Wishing you all a lovely weekend ahead…

15 comments:

  1. Oh, I loved both Anne of Green Gables and the Secret Garden SO much as a child - it would be so much fun to read them again now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne of Green Gables, Little Women and The Secret Garden are some of my childhood (and current) faves too. And I would never let *already* owning a copy stand in the way of buying another copy ;) Those new Penguins are sweet. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Amanda...it's lovely having a "set" of wonderful books for Grace to have. They are classics and she'll love them when she's a little older
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're beautiful cover designs. Have you seen the ones that have images of hand embroidery? I can't think of the link to them at the moment, but they are stunning!
    I know what you mean about blogging in ther cold - even though our laptop is on its last legs I do like sitting in front of the fire with it :)
    Have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved Anne of Green Gables and Little Women too. Must keep an eye out for these for my collection xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you and I have similar tastes in books. I recently purchased a family pass to a large hedge maze north of Brisbane. Looking forward to seeing how much the kids enjoy the adventure.
    I loved Enid Blyton as a kid in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good read. Have a wonderful weekend, Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, Amanda, I've had my eye on these pretties for some time as well. I could well follow your lead! J x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello,

    Just discovered your blog. Top book choices - the secret garden is a favourite of mine too and those book covers are lovely.

    Hope you keep warm x

    Leah x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne of Green Gables was my favourite book as well - love the pretty covers of the new edition. Will have to look out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anne of Green Gables was a favourite of mine too but mine doesn't look nearly as pretty as those. I think these would look lovely in Grace's bedroom and when she gets older she'll have a great selection of books to read. Have a wonderful week. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anne of Green Gables, Little Women and The Secret Garden are some of my childhood faves too...I think you and I have similar tastes in books :)
    Have a wonderful week, Kellie.
    xoxo
    lila

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love revisiting the classics when I get a chance. Just been reading some Jane Austen lately. Hope you had a great weekend.x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anne of Green Gables was my favourite and I can't even count the number of times I've watched the movie growing up. Actually I recently bought the 3-pack DVD set, if you ever want to borrow it I can pass it to MC to lend to you! Where did you buy that version of the book from? I think I'd like to order that too, I found out I'm having a girl so that would be a perfect keepsake for her! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sonia - I too loved Enid Blyton - 'The Naughtiest Girl In The School' and 'The Magic Faraway Tree' were among my favourites :)

    Kath - I used the Booko site to find theses as the postage to Australia on Anthropolgie where I initially found them was too expensive. The Book Depository is always good for cheap books.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - it really makes my day!!